I wonder if placing the wireless USB dongle closer to the mouse, such as
plugged into a USB hub on the desk might help. Or, if the wireless
router is near the computer, whether moving the router would help.

Just speculating, but it could be that the lower signal strength of the
Touch may mean it takes longer to buffer a given amount of data, so
there's more chance of the wireless transmission interfering with the
mouse. I believe lower strength signal (actually SNR) means less
available bandwidth. An interesting experiment might be to place the
Touch right next to the wireless router so that you get a 100% signal
and then see if you still notice the interference during buffering.

--
JJZolx