Then I may have wasted money going down the NAS route.  On Synology's
advice I avoided the 'j' series for Squeezebox and bought the next one
up with 256MB RAM 1.6 GHz CPU etc and probably naively assumed all
would be fine .  I had thought that a NAS box was a much more efficient
way of streaming my music - like you I only use either CD quality or
Hi-Res files (FLAC).

The idea of leaving my main (overclocked) Win 7 machine switched on
with its 850W PSU and multiple HDDs dismays me a bit.  I have saved
very noticeably on my electricity bill by using my laptop as much as I
can and not leaving the main PC whirring away.

I'll have to try both ways and if it's as bad as you say I'll have to
forgo the convenience of the NAS with its scheduled powering on and off
etc. Shame, as it's use would reduce to storing the family pictures -  a
bit of overkill.

But... I found the SB software on Synology's site ending in .spk  (as
above) but have no clue as to how I go about installing it on anything.
Any pointers?

Thanks for getting back.
Steve

--