I have tried the Paragon software on my Ubuntu box, and it does give
full read+write access to Journaled HFS+ formatted drives. However I
can currently only access it as root, and unmounting as non-root from
the desktop can corrupt the entire HFS volume beyond repair. So I think
it needs more work before it can be incorporated into a product like
Squeezebox. Also the license is only for personal use. If Logitech
wants to use it, I am sure they will have to pay $$$. Similar to
Paragon's NTFS & HFS solutions for linux, Tuxera also have an NTFS, HFS
and exFAT solution for linux. exFAT might be a good idea for
Squeezeboxes in the future since it overcomes many of the limitations
of FAT, is the default file system for newer high capacity SDXC cards,
and is now natively available on newer Win and Mac systems. Of course
they would have to pay $$$ for the Microsoft/Tuxera tax.

As my collection grows larger, I find myself increasingly worried about
data corruption. I currently have my music mirrored on an HFS+ drive and
an NTFS drive. I've been toying with using ZFS, and Btrfs but haven't
yet worked out a solution that will be compatible across the Mac, Linux
and Windows platforms that I use routinely.

--
Nikhil