Keep in mind that the Touch doesn't come with a software installation
disk for Squeezebox Server - it must be downloaded. So either he goes
to the library or an internet cafe and downloads the software to a
laptop, or else you or someone else can download it for him.

Also, the Touch will come from the factory with old firmware on it, so
it should be updated to the version that matches the server. Since
firmware updates for the Touch rely on files being downloaded from the
'net, you'll either want to set up the Touch on a connected network or
else download the firmware and place it in the server's cache/updates
folder.

I would:

- Download the 7.5.4 server from this web page:

  http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download
- Download the 7.5.4 firmware for the Touch from 'this location'
  (http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.5.4/). You want the
  following two files:

  fab4.version
  fab4_7.5.4_r9408.bin
- Install Squeezebox Server onto the computer that will act as server
  and start it up.
- Place the two firmware files into the cache/updates folder created
  by Squeezebox Server. It's location can be found on the Settings >
  Information page, near the bottom.
- Plug in the new Touch and go through the initial setup.
- On the Touch navigate into 'My Music' to make sure that the server
  can see and connect to the local Squeezebox Server.

I don't recall what happens during the initial configuration when you
get to the mysqueezebox.com registration and you don't have an internet
connection. I think there may be no obvious way around it (although
perhaps that's changed). You should be able, however, to do a
left-to-right swipe of the screen to bypass the registration and land
back at the Home menu.

Either during the setup, or maybe right after, you should be prompted
to update the firmware to the version sitting in cache/updates. If you
_don't_ get a prompt then restart the server. You should then almost
immediately be prompted.

--
JJZolx