bitstopjoe;627981 Wrote:
> I do not have the network server installed on my PC. I tried what was
> suggested and hooked up my external USB drive to my Netgear WNR3500L
> router. My Touch did not see it. I assume I misunderstood and in fact I
> do need to install the squeeze box server on my PC?? I wanted to this to
> work as I do not keep my PC on all the time.. So if I didnt
> misunderstand, what did I do wrong? The router has been set up as no
> password required to access the USB drive connected to it.

SqueezeboxServer (SbS) has to run somewhere. Either on a PC or on a NAS
that can run it (like the readynas units that can run SbS or a
vortexbox. All these things (PC, NAS, votexbox, etc. are all PCs, it is
just that some of them are PCs without monitors or keyboards).

I think you are trying to just plug your drive into the router (to make
the files available to the network). That won't work. Something,
somewhere needs to be running SbS.  If you just want the files on a
disk and no pc/no nas, etc., you can try plugging the USB drive into
the TOUCH itself and using the TOUCH's "tinySbS". It is picky about how
the USB drive is formatted, etc. and some have more luck with this than
others. And it is a "stripped down" version of SbS to boot.

--
garym