Okay I solved my problem. After getting a new Squeezebox Radio for my
bedroom I checked and that also wouldn't play the same files (no
surprise there since it's probably the same bit of firmware).

I then thoroughly checked to see what files would not play and it was
just two albums. I then ran these files through dBPoweramp Music
Converter using 'm4a optimize'. This fixed the files so they now play
on the Touch and Radio!

The only thing that was common about these files (as opposed to the
other iTunes files I have) is that both albums were the first ever
iTunes album purchase (I think) on a particular iTunes account, one on
my account and one on my wife's. I don't know why this would make a
difference, but whatever it was, the files would play via the server
transcoding to my Squeezebox 3s, but not natively on my Touch or Radio.
After 'optimizing', they played on the Touch and Radio too.

I still have the original files if anyone wants to look into it.

--
rickwookie