A couple things. First, what do you mean by "showing up with empty
directories"? I understand that to mean an operating system directory
(aka folder) with no files in it. But you say you are browsing by
artists, which doesn't follow the OS's directories -- instead it
follows the SQL database that SBS creates. Where is it you see the
"empty directory"?

Second, are you really ALBUMARTIST tags with names like "Hifi",
"Various", and "Audiophile", as opposed to an artist's name? If that's
the case then I'm not very clear on exactly what it is you're trying to
accomplish, so I may not be able to help much.

Finally, are all of the tracks in a given compilation album in the same
directory/folder? SBS counts on that to keep compilation tracks from the
same album together.

--
aubuti