Hi,
I personally don't get any problems with artwork on the Touch or Duet,
except when I have used the latest release SBS 7.5.4. You will see from
various threads that 7.5.4.s scanner.exe has displayed "faults" when
scanning music/artwork files.
That said, in reading threads over the years, I have noticed the more
knowledgeable members (Technical bits!) have said that artwork should
not be larger than 500 x 500 pixels, so that the scanner can handle
them without a lag.  I have artwork below this figure and above and I
don't have a problem.
I use db CD ripper for ripping to flac and the program finds the
correct artwork.  If it is above 500 x 500 it automatically reduces the
artwork size to 500 x 500. I also use Album Art Downloader
This may be a contributory factor to your on-going issues. Also what
operating system are you using on your computer/server?
If it was my unit, I would first ascertain what SBS I was using.  If it
is 7.5.4 then try a previous SBS issue that was stable i.e. 7.5.3. for
example.
To make sure everything was to start afresh I would clear the cache and
preference files (on the advanced page of the SBS Control Panel.
I would then uninstall SBS completely making sure that nothing
connected with the current install was left behind and then I would
carry out a re-install of a previous SBS and rescan the music files.
If that doesn't do the trick I am stuck on offering further advice.

--
sachadog