Patric;638956 Wrote:

> I don't want to go down a path that I will regret later..... I feel
> like I have enough knowledge to be dangerous...... Aside from the fixed
> price of the SBT, I'll be concerned about the costs....

Makes perfect sense. Don't make a decision until you have to and until
you more fully understand the consequences. Buy the SB Touch, install
the software on whatever PC you have, start ripping your CDs, and then
see how you feel after using it for awhile.

Having a complete file backup makes sense and is a good practice. Buy
two drives, use one for playing and the other as a duplicate. Free
software (like Syncback, if you use windows) will make backups a simple
task. Keep your backup drive disconnected when not in use. Many people
use external USB drives, they're cheap and portable.

Don't let the word "server" in the SB Server software name bother you.
It's a program, it runs well on any PC with any mainstream operating
system. There are lots of inexpensive and small "PCs" available on the
market. If you choose a separate machine for your music, choose one
that has an operating system and features you are comfortable working
with.

--
Goodsounds