If it is any consolation, I USED to have loads of problems with my USB
drive ("unexpectedly stopped" messages, very slow response times, music
stuttering on playback).  Now I have no issues at all since I learned to
follow these simple rules.

1. Remove all non-music files from your drive (except for front covers)
to reduce the number of files the Touch has to scan when you connect the
drive. This is necessary because those clever Touch programmers decided
not to give us the option of telling the Touch what folders to scan and
what not to scan - it literally scans and logs EVERYTHING, even videos.
So, just FLACS and front covers are all that should be on there.

2. After connecting the drive and starting the SB server, navigate back
to the SB server screen and watch as it finds and scans all the files.
This can take just a few minutes but can also be much longer if it's a
first-time scan. The very last thing to scan will be artwork (which
should be dead quick if there are only front covers to scan), so as
soon as it says "Artwork scan complete" you know you're ready to roll.
If you try to play your music whilst files are still being
scanned/logged you will probably encounter all kinds of issues, so be
patient.

3. (Optional).  Don't store any single FLAC+CUE albums on the drive.
Stick to multiple FLAC tracks. The Touch can play single FLAC+CUEs, but
the track markers are out-of-synch so if you start playing, say, track
03, it will start playing from about 20 seconds into the song or
something.  I have previously reported this issue but was advised there
is no intention to fix this. Use CUETools to split your FLAC images to
separate tracks if necessary.

FINALLY, I also found that by gradually adding files to the drive in
stages (rather than my entire collection all at once) the Touch was
much more stable. Try removing two thirds of your music from your drive
(and delete all the Touch data files) then reconnect as if for the first
time.  Follow the above point 2.  Then disconnect, add another third of
your music, connect again and follow point 2 again.  This scan will be
much quicker than the first.  then do it again for the last third.
Again, this should be a quick-ish scan.

Hope this all helps - it certainly worked for me.

--
Dave1972