As reported by John S I've been looking at support for async usb dacs
connected to the Usb port of Touch.  I believe I've made some progress
and have some changes to the touch firmware which I believe are worth
sharing.  At present this is really a proof of concept and I am looking
for testers who have an async usb dac (usb 1.1 devices for the moment)
and are willing to try some tests.

I've been testing these modifications with a usb 1 dac (Audiolab MDAC)
- it will play at 44.1 and 48k sampling rates with my modified kernel.
(The dac is capable of 96k, but to make it work with Touch at present
I've modified the kernel to only support these lower rates)

WARNING: ALTHOUGH I INTEND THESE CHANGES TO BE EASY TO INSTALL FOR A
NORMAL USER, THERE IS THE CHANCE OF CAUSING DIFFICULTLY TO BOOT THE
TOUCH.  I SUGGEST INITIAL TESTERS ARE THEREFORE PEOPLE WHO ARE FAMILIAR
WITH SSH AND THE TOUCH INTERNALS (AND WOULD BE WILLING TO USE A TFTP
SERVER IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY).  I WILL LIFT THIS WARNING ONCE A
COUPLE OF PEOPLE HAVE VERIFIED MY UPDATE PROCESS..

The process for installing the updates is slightly involved, but should
all be able to be done from the normal user interface.  Instructions
below:

1) Update to latest released Touch firmware
2) Perform factory reset to ensure any previous usb mods are removed
3) Add the following new repository url to the LMS Web settings page:
Settings, Plugins (additonal repositories at bottom of page), press
apply
http://triodeapplets.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/usbtestrepo.xml
4) Go to Settings, Advanced, Applet Installer on the player, unselect
"Recommended Applets Only" and two new applets should appear in the
list: Kernel Updater and USB Audio Ouput - install them one at a time
(touch will reboot each time you install one)
5) Go to Settings, Advanced, Kernel Updater and install the new kernel
"USB Test Kernel #1" (touch will reboot)
6) Ensure USB Dac is pluged in and turned on
7) Go to Setttings, Advanced, USB Audio Output and see if your USB Dac
appears in the menu - if so select it (touch will reboot)
8) Touch should now be using the selected USB device for its audio
output - to see the status return to the Settings, Advanced, USB Audio
Output menu and select the device - this should show the current status
of any playing stream

Important - before you update to the standard firmware again, you must
reselect the Default output on the USB Audio Output menu otherwise the
touch will continually reboot.  [If you get to this point, press and
hold the reset button to perform a factory reset and it should boot
correctly]

Please report your findings here - interested in which dacs and what
works/doesn't.

I'll start by saying that my Audiolab MDAC appears to work in async
mode with 44.1/48k sampling rates.

My intention is to try other changes to the kernel which will result in
additional alternative kernels to help test what changes are needed for
different dacs.  If/when I do this, I will post here and make them
available via the Kernel Updater applet.

--
Triode