Have you changed any of the settings in the advanced menu under "file
types"?

If so, you have to make sure that you have the correct selections
active for AIFF files.  When I originally got my touch, I was
experimenting and for AIFF file types, I left the "stream" selection as
"native" for AIFF streams, but disabled the others.  When I tried to
play a hi rez file with these settings, I got the same results that you
did.

I then changed the selection for flac streams from disabled to the only
other option there was (I don't remember exactly what it was), but I was
then able to play AIFF hi rez files.

--
TonyAngel