I just tried my Touch with a USB stick with no ethernet cable or wifi,
it works fine, I'm listening to it right now. Since I had been
connected to an external server I had to go through several pages, it
first told me there was no network connectivity and asked if I wanted
to continue without a network. I said yes, then it tried to connect the
last server it was connected to, of course it could reach that server,
it then asked if I wanted to connect to a different server and gave the
choice of the internal LMS. I selected that and it connected and let me
start playing music.

On the stand alone network. You CAN connect a computer running an
external server direct to the Touch, BUT then you have to come up with
some way to assign network addresses. This is usually handled by the
DHCP server in your router. You can either assign static IP addresses
on both the computer and the Touch (and make sure they are on the same
subnet)or you can install a DHCP server on the PC (on XP this is called
internet connection sharing, I don't know what its called on Win7)If you
don't do either of these the PC and the Touch choose their own address,
which usually mean they are on different subnets and can't talk to
teach other.

A wireless router also lets you use a wifi enabled remote (Logitech
controller, iPhone, iPod touch, android phone etc. These do NOT talk
direct to the Touch, they talk to the server and without a wireless
router they are not going to get onto the network to talk to the
server.

So yes it can be done but its a bit of a pain in the neck.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson