many thanks for your help.i also posted on the FoR3 forum and someone
there gave me a different url to try which has sorted the problem.i'm
sure they wouldn't object to me posting details here.if anyone is
interested the instructions & url info are:

go to your ‘mysqueezebox.com’ page - click on favorites - under ‘add
favorite’, paste in this address:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

Name it what you like, click on ‘add’…. After you’ve done this, you’ll
need your SBT to be connected to the mysqueezebox.com server. Then go
to favorites, either on the Touch home page, or using the remote
control function on the mysqueezebox.com page - and it should do the
trick (it does for me). …No flash, so you won’t get the live text, but
you should get a quick connection to the stream (at 320kbps aac), and
get it without blips, skips, glitches, and remote host resetting the
connection.

it's working perfectly for me.

--
diddy