Ahhh. Sweet success.

Went home during my lunch break, grabbed my TOUCH and brought it into
the office (I don't have internet at home).

I connected it to the internet and went through the set up (most of my
preferences were preserved), powered off, disconnected the ethernet,
powered up again and it went directly to HOME MENU.

I'm a happy guy.

While connected, one thing it asked for was to confirm my registration.
That must have made the difference. I guess if you have a new TOUCH and
don't register it, you'll need to go through the beginning steps all
the time. If you don't have internet at home, my advice is to take it
somewhere you can connect to register and go through your set up. Then
you won't need it connected after that.

--
cwon