Use of a HDD without its own power supply directly to the Touch is not
recommended. From what I recall the issue was the amount of power it
might draw would cause the Touch to not function. That being said when I
1st got mine in 2010 I used a Toshiba Canvio 2.0 drive which does not
have a power adapter and it worked fine.  The only reason I switched to
having a network w the HDD w my music attached to my PC was increased
functionality and ease of use. If you remove a drive that is directly
attached to the Touch and then reattach it rescans the entire library
which is a PIA. There is no reliable list of what model wo its own power
adapterworks and which does not because there are too many variables
that may be encountered.

Check out this thread for more info-
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?82070-Touch-with-USB-drive-mastering-TinySB&highlight=Tiny+SC

Good luck. Once you get it operating I think you will love it.