Go into Preferences, down towards the bottom of the first page there is
a button for Import Settings, press that button.  When that opens, the
top drop down menu change it to Apple Lossless, then hit OK, and then OK
at the bottom of the preference page.  Go to the songs that are Apple
Protected and select those songs (you can select the one at the top,
scroll down to the last one and hit the Shift Key before you select with
the mouse, to include them all).  Then Right Click with the mouse, and
go to the selection Change Selected Files to Apple Lossless, and then
wait for them all to convert and delete the old files.

You know now that I've been thinking about it, there may have been some
that wouldn't let me convert and I did have to make a playlist and burn
it to a cd, then rip that cd as Apple Lossless so as not to lose more
quality reconverting it to a lossy file for the second time.  I know
I've used both methods, but it may depend on how the DRM was implemented
as to which way you have to go.  But the burn to cd always works as long
as you still have rights to those files.