I have many audio only mp4 files which play fine. (As far as I am aware
m4a is iTunes version of audio only mp4 files.)

It should be possible to demux mp4 files which contain both audio and
video. If the extracted audio is aac this will play but there wont be
any forward, back control - it will start at the beginning and play to
the end. However it is pretty simple to wrap the aac in a m4a container
using MP4Box.

In general I prefer not to transcode lossy formats - but then with
Youtube audio I don't suppose it would matter a great deal.