I have a friend I am trying to convince that his hi-end CD player should
not be better than a good computer based music source - and so far - the
CD player wins bringing more dimensionality to the sound, whereas so
far, the ripped equivalent sound flat in comparison.

Perhaps I am ripping them wrong, or using the wrong computer based
source (we've even tried a SBT), however to this date - the CD player
stomps all over my attempts (granted it is an expensive CD player - but
nevertheless).

I too have sat in and listened to his system - and have resigned to the
fact that his CD player sounds better both as a player and a transport
to an external DAC.

This is why I suspected that there might be some truth in the article -
and whereas a CD player is far less convenient than a ripped library of
music - it's still the better sounding alternative by quite a margin.