You could use the same power inverter to power the WD HDD.  I also use
an inverter in my car (but not for audio) and three potential issues may
be causing your Touch to rescan often (i.e. losing power).  Your
inverter may be shutting down (even momentarily) for three possible
reasons.

1.  Many inverters will shut down when they detect an over draw of amps
on the car battery (amps dip to below xx amps) to protect the battery.

2.  When you start the car this may (likely) cuts all power to all
accessories including the inverter.
3.  Power fluctuations in DC/AC line may also be causing momentary power
cuts to Touch and/or HDD.

Just throwing out some ideas to check into.  Might be suffering from all
three issues, dunno.