I guess most of us with Touches have seen the situation where sometimes
the display doesn't properly update and stays one track behind, but I've
recently had situations where that issue coincided with losing gapless
playback.  I was playing live albums, so the less-than-a-second gaps
between tracks were pretty obvious.

Most recent occurrence involved the Touch being fed by the latest
official LMS release running on an old Ubuntu version, but I've also
seen it under Ubuntu 12.04.

The fix in this case was very simple: I used the remote to skip forward
a track, then back again.  It was fine after that.

The display update issue doesn't seem to happen often and I'm only aware
of it coinciding with losing gapless on two occasions.

It only occurs to me now that I should have checked the log...