IME the BDA-1's coaxial inputs sound significantly better than the
Toslink, with the Touch or anything else. Have used both, with varying
grades of coaxial and Toslink cables; you should use a quality one, but
don't have to get even close to ridiculous (e.g. Blue Jeans coaxial or
average glass Tos is fine, you *will* hear plastic Tos). You should note
that in the audiophile world Toslink is usually given attention/status
below coaxial S/PDIF in almost all (more expensive) DACs. Because
Toslink has been traditionally so cheaply implemented in source devices,
and you can't really (externally) fix a bad source after the fact. The
coaxial S/PDIF output on the Touch measures (and sounds) a lot better
than you might expect from the price.

BDA-1 digital inputs in order of quality:
AES/EBU......coaxial......Toslink.............USB. The dots represent
IMO approximately relatively how far apart the quality is. :) If you
have the BDA-2 then I presume the USB would be different, but on the
BDA-1 it's only a last resort or for some convenience. The BDA's "metal"
inputs are galvanically isolated, so the Tos doesn't even gain anything
audible from that IME. But really, with all this DAC stuff, you have to
try it yourself. For all I know my "custom" Touch PS is doing most of
the good stuff re coax vs Tos from it.