garym wrote:
> In most (almost all) cases they should produce identical audio. One is
> optical one is S/PDIF.  Unless a cable is broken or you have some sort
> of grounding problem, should produce identical output to the DAC.

Optical has the theoretical benefit that it provides 100% galvanic
isolation between the source and the DAC (as some audiophiles claim
electrical noise from the source can affect the DAC if there is an
electrical connection between the two), but despite that I have not seen
any reports showing that it would actually result in better sound
quality.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953