Pascal Hibon wrote:
> The official specification for coax S/PDIF is RCA not BNC.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF The professional AES interface even
> uses an XLR connector!
> Since the S/PDIF signal is quite low frequency, the connector won't have
> much influence on the signal anyway. I just have to laugh at these
> DIY'ers who modify there gear without even measuring the difference the
> "mods" made.

Yeah technically it's a 75ohm video cabling reused as digital audio ,
using coax cable you should use BNC , but as you say an digital audio
interface is not a very demanding application especially given the short
lengths used at home . In a 100 meter run I would use BNC all the way .

The aes/ebu using xlr ,was it not so that studios could reuse old cables
and patch panels etc . To make going digital cheaper for a studio back
in the 80's .

One things is for sure . If there where an audible difference it will
never manifest as analog as some audiophiles think . I would like to see
how some disturbance could selectively target bass or treble information
in the signal or phase......

Noise and jitter yes , but jitter has to reach levels not seen in any
modern product ( with exceptions of some voodoo designs especially for
audiophiles , but then it's suddenly ok ? Horrible performance is always
ok for audiophile products provided that they are expensive and come in
multiple chassis have tubes or whatnot... ).

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )