Greetings!

Been the running my SBT in EDO to a newly acquired Schiit Modi 3. Since
my last DAC was limited to 96k I figured I'd try some 192k tracks since
the Modi can process them. I've run across some interesting observations
and a question.

Question:

Using USB from SBT to Modi 3 I get buffering issues (re-buffering) on
the SBT.

Using Toslink from SBT to Modi 3 I can play 192k files fine! Can anyone
out there school me on why they don't play over USB?

I also get clicks when adjusting volume up and down on iPeng with the
USB connection. Toslink is silent.

Observations:

I've been doing some A-B testing between USB and Toslink. As of now, I
prefer the Toslink- seems to have a slightly larger soundstage, better
separation and bass seems to be a little more delineated. Using USB
seems to compress the image a bit.
Toslink seems a little more black in background, might be benefiting
from galvanic isolation with the optical connection?

My System-
Transport- SBT
DAC - Schiit Modi 3
Preamp -  Aragon 28K MKII