With all 3 of my other Touch units, when I stop playing music it goes to
sleep after a time and displays the clock.  I thought this was something
that was configured through the web application.  However, now upon
looking I no longer see that option.

There is a SLEEP option on the Touch itself under settings.  However, I
am not clear what it is supposed to do.  It has the options to go to
sleep after 15 to 90 minutes.  does this mean that it would go to sleep
at that interval after music has stopped or would it go to sleep after
that interval during music playback?

Also, I don't see any option to tell it what to display once it does go
to sleep as there used to be in the web application.