I had just posted a response to everyone but for some reason it got
deleted. Yay to technology.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It got me thinking about how my preconceptions of a PC got in the way of
the solution to my problem. I'm spend so much time building PCS, as big
and powerful as they are, that I let that cloud my thinking about what I
could actually use.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. I'm actually thinking of
using an nuc to serve my squeezebox touch. As I've tried Linux many many
times in the past 20 years and have always had mixed results ending in
frustration.

on a separate note I got my tidal streaming service problems sorted out
somehow. from this morning it started streaming flac to my squeezebox
touch app for some reason which I don't know why. I'm glad it's finally
streaming lossless, but as the Japanese would say
気が進まないなぁ.
loosely translated means I can't really let the matter rest without
knowing why it changed. You see I didn't change anything with it
settings or anything like that and it just suddenly changed.

Danny