A quick update on this buzzing interference:

Once again yesterday morning the Touch began the dreaded "BUZZING" sound
(internal speaker as well as to the AVR into which it was passing audio)
and I switched the AC power off to the unit, this being the only thing
to do to stop this interference. It did this three times within an hour
and the last time when I restored the AC power to the power adaptor, the
display remained dead while the Toslink LED was burning brightly. A few
more on/off cycles got it going again and I figured I had tried
everything I could think of, including verification of the wi-fi signal
and resetting the unit back to factory default settings a number of
times, all to no avail.

I figured there was one thing I had not tried as I could not see it
would be of any help but I had nothing more to lose. I re-installed the
version7.7.3.r16676 Firmware, figuring this was a waste of time.

Well... for the first time ever, the Touch has so far been running
continuously for more than 30 hours without any hiccups of any kind, the
dreaded Buzzing seems to be gone, the unit is working absolutely 100% as
it was designed to do. So it appears that somehow there was a glitch in
the original firmware update, not something that I had expected as there
were times that everything was good.

Touching wood that I do not have to update this post with more problems
arising... :)

-Eric