Apesbrain wrote:
> Interesting, you might be able to do it with a crossover cable:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Crossover cables are history. Every modern network interface is capable
of detecting a direct connection and internally switch to crossover
mode. This also works if one of the peers does not support this feature
(although I think the network interface in the Touch can do it too).

The main problem when doing this is that your network will be undefined
and various network supplied features (e.g. DNS name resolving) will not
be present. A key missing component is DHCP which provides your
machine(s) with an IP address and while there is a fall-back method that
will auto-assign an address in the range 169.254.x.x I'm not sure that
the Touch actually supports this method. You should be able to verify by
viewing the player information on the Touch.

A software solution is to make the laptop a DHCP+DNS server. The
hardware alternative is to grab an old router and use that to connect
the two.