On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 10:22:46 -0800 Isaac Dunham <ibid...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 09:35:31AM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> > while doing some searches on scripting i was reminded about
> > "service" and noticed it wasn't in toybox. Is this a oversight or
> > not in intended feature/possible post 1.0.
>
> service(8) is part of the rc scripts, of which there are more variants
> than there are of init(8).
> It makes little sense to include it in toybox when the only init we
> have is oneit; even when init gets out of pending, implementing
> service in toybox would be hard-coding a requirement about how the rc
> scripts work. We certainly couldn't implement the rc scripts in
> toybox, since they are scripts.

That's not entirely true.  Many years ago I wrote an implementation of
runlevel/init.d/SYS V init applets for busybox, aiming for LSB
compliance.  It included the ability for the actual "scripts"
themselves to be written in any language, and included several ones
written in C as busybox applets.  These init "scripts" would just be
symlinks to busybox.  This is in fact compliant with the LSB
specification.

If I remember correctly, it includes most of the good stuff systemd
claims, fast boot if all/most of the "scripts" are written in C,
dependency tracking, parallel "script" running, etc.

Rob hasn't decided yet how to tackle this sort of thing, other than his
oneit toy, which is a very basic init system.  I hope that when he
does tackle it, "scripts" written in C as part of toybox would be
supported.

It's likely bit rotted horribly, but for the curious -

https://sourceforge.net/projects/urunlevel/

I'd be happy to port it to toybox.