On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 01:52:37PM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:

> > They've (FreeBSD) already made their choice (llvm/c++). Therefore, I
> > believe that elftoolchain may be orphaned. The project is not too
> > actively developed, but it is small, written in C and it fits
> > perfectly with the pcc, tcc, libfirm/cparser etc... and musl. I think
> > it could be a very useful addition to musl.
>

> I agree, it feels like a good fit for the non-gnu non-llvm crowd. From my
> poking around and i have been wrong before, i think musl and pcc are the
> only real and active alternatives to gnu and bsd. who heads up pcc anyways?
> i forget if pcc is on this email chain, maybe they are interested?
>
> pcc is linux/bsd focused, having elftoolchain be dual focused more so than
> it already is (add support for gnumakefile) and throw in a little musl, we
> have a nicely portable system..... I like it!
>
> does musl support bsd makes?

No, because I'm not aware of any way to do the type of generic rules
we use that would be portable to BSD make. Having to add contents to
the makefile for every new source file is unacceptable redundancy (and
part of the reason hideous things like automake were invented).

If there is a way to do the equivalent in BSD make, I'm not opposed to
trying to support both; it might be something reasonable to work on at
the same time as other build system goals like support for out-of-tree
build.

Rich