On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 03:55:02PM -0800, enh wrote:
> as i've said, Android doesn't have /etc/passwd (or /etc/group), and it
> doesn't have setpwent/getpwent/endpwent (or equivalents). you *can* do
> uid/gid or name lookups though, because they do make some degree of
> sense. (so id(1) works.) i've considered implementing getpwent so that
> it would cycle through the well known users, but we don't actually
> have an example of anything that would use it, and it's really not
> obvious that we'd be doing anyone any favors --- code calling getpwent
> that wants to run on Android needs to think long and hard about
> exactly what it means by that, and whether it makes any sense at all.

The main application I've seen that makes _any_ sense is
tab-completion of usernames in the shell.

> the fact that Android tends to be pretty locked down with SELinux
> means it's going to be tricky to test a lot of toybox things, but
> getting to a point where i can run the test suite is definitely a
> goal. just not a priority (because i can run the tests on the desktop
> with bionic).

Is there any guide to getting bionic built and working on a desktop
system, short of doing a complete android build? I tried a while back
with the gentoobionic repo which was setup to work without the android
build system, but didn't get anywhere with it. This is not something I
have a lot of time to spend on, but I'd like it if I could get
something working to evaluate differences between musl and bionic.

Rich