On 05/03/20 14:29, Rob Landley wrote:
On 3/4/20 12:28 AM, scsijon wrote:
I was wondering, since you've added most of the set (insmod, rmmod, lsmod,
modprobe, modinfo, depmod), why you left the last two out as it would allow the
removal of a package.

Because nobody's poked me about them yet?

:-) consider yourself poked, please, for both.

There's a modprobe in pending.and depmod only matters if you want a modules.dep
file, which seems deeply silly to me because you can just read the modules files
live to get the information from them? (We don't have a lib.dep file for all the
libraries under /usr/lib and such, we just search them live because it doesn't
take long at all.)

The kernel seems to want them, and we serve the kernel what it wants! Or is there a need for a depmod replacement that can be linked as that and does it all on command?

You should (?maybe) only need eudev to build with, rather
than have to include kmod and not use toybox's commands.

I'd love to be able to remove the kmod-eudev / kmod-udev / module-init-tools-udev pairs, and we do use kernel modules as we work with a lot of very mixed up laptops and desktops, let alone ex-windows tablets and others in puppylinux and easyos nowadays.

I'm the guy who originally wrote mdev way back when,

seem to remember that being mentioned before, strangely it's still available and there are a number of people reckon it's still better, just limited by the desktop problems, maybe you could/should start to think about a enhanced replacement for toybox :-)

so it shouldn't be a
surprise I'm not a big fan of eudev.

it's better than a couple of alternatives that have appeared (and thankfully dissapeared again) over the years

 I haven't bothered to go through and redo
that because devtmpfs exists, but we still need a hotplug handler so it is still
on the todo list.

The thing is, the systems I build are A) static kernels with no modules, B)
haven't got a lot of hotplug stuff happening in them right now. (Although once
we implement the USB support in the turtle board bitstreams, then I need hotplug
handling again...)

Rob

yup,

thanks