On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 6:09 PM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:

> On 2/1/23 15:18, enh via Toybox wrote:
> > heh, to be clear: i wasn't "dissing" drive-by patching. it accounts
> > for at least 80% of my entire career :-)
>
> https://landley.net/toybox/downloads/binaries/mkroot/0.8.9/linux-patches/
>
> > i use the term just to acknowledge that for some things -- like this
> > -- there isn't anyone else who's actually working on the thing full
> > time, which is my personal rationale for wanting "the simplest thing
> > that could possibly work", and why my definition of "simple" is
> > something like "the most easily understood by an average programmer
> > who hasn't seen this particular code before".
>
> I mean to take custody of this thing this year. I'm trying to get to a 1.0
> release, which means (among other things) emptying the pending directory
> entirely.

Well it might be complete rewrite when you get to it, but hopefully
its better than starting from nothing :)

> I do admit vi is something I haven't worked out how to regression test yet,
> but
> dogfooding it would presumably cover a multitude of sins. (I do edit both my
> code and my blog in vi...)

I was trying to code with toybox vi, but I seem to be too blind and I
need syntax hilighting. And I really dont wanna implement it here. Its
not in scope of this.

> > (and, yes, in addition to the open() error -- which at least led to a
> > small simplification of the code -- i've shot myself in the foot by
> > forgetting that there even are vi tests, not running them, and
> > breaking them with my recent commit, which i'll have to do something
> > about before i can sync to AOSP.
>
> Huh, I forgot that too. :)
>
> Ok, "vi -s" is a good start...

"vi -s" is ok for text edit operation testing, and tests with weird
files and such. But visual testing I think using manually with
different terminal emulators is only way.
At some point I forked ST to print out escape codes for me when I was
trying to debug some drawing issues. But fortunately currently drawing
is just one function (monsterous that needs to be rewritten for sure).

I think that most work is actually going through all movement commands
corner cases, things like cw and dw has different movement.

And parsing required ex and vi commands better way. But I was hoping
you can use something from bash implementation perhaps.

> > i'll admit i'm very tempted to just
> > locally ignore those tests for now so i can get people kicking the
> > `tar --sort=name` tires asap, and coming back to worry about vi
> > later!)
>
> You have applied quantum indeterminacy to "pending" status. It is
> simultaneously
> pending and not pending.
>
> I'm kind of impressed.
>
> Rob