On 12/11/21 13:22, Rob Landley wrote:
>> i wondered that too, but this is what the util-linux one does. (which is
>> presumably just because that's what taskset does. so -- like me with
>> `default y`
>> at least they're _consistent_.)
>
> Complicates the code, but simplifies the help text. Hmmm...
>
> I suppose I could move -a to the end? There's tension between "options in
> alphabetical order so you can find them" and "options in some sort of coherent
> order where they make SENSE".
>
> You'll note that find.c errs ENTIRELY towards the second, but you've pretty
> much
> GOTTA collate name/iname path/ipath user/nouser group/nogroup, true/false,
> depth/maxdepth/mindepth... Plus you'll notice it's totally cheating by having
> the "-option  explanation" indentation be WAY different on the left (16 chars
> after the dash) side than on the right side (11 chars). I kind of want to
> collate prune/xdev/empty/quit, but... hmmm, maybe options with no arguments on
> the right and ones with arguments on the left? Except I haven't got an equal
> number of types. (Plus those last two lines just go all the way across because
> there's too much to explain, and newerXY would be right under -newer...)
>
> Anyway, this kinda polishing thing can eat All The Time if I let it. :)

I have a lot of old open tabs, but just FYI, commit df0eb047c764 at least makes
this slightly less bad.

(One of my TODO items is to reread the mailing list history and my blog to find
old TODO items that fell through the cracks. The "make videos of every command"
todo item _also_ turns into Yet Another Polishing Pass on each one I try...)

Rob