On 11/10/23 18:28, enh wrote:
>     > Yes, top will also be in that group. These ones may be good candidates
>     > for GSoC or intern projects.
>
>     A trick I've been pondering using is declaring __attribute__((__weak__))
> on some
>     functions in toys/*/*.c or lib/*.c that lib/portability.c can have
> optional
>     alternate implementations of, assuming the --gc-sections trick can make
> the weak
>     one drop out if a non-weak one gets linked in. (It _should_ do?)
>
> you don't even need --gc-sections. that's just how weak symbols work.
>
> maskray (the person i mean any time i say "the linker guy")
> agrees: https://maskray.me/blog/2021-04-25-weak-symbol

Yeah, but is it static transitive?

If I have a weak void hash_by_name(int fd, char *name, char *result) that's
calling static void sha1_transform(struct browns *hash) does sha1_transform()
drop out when that hash_by_name gets replaced?

That's not a theoretical case, that's what lib/hash.c looks like right now as I
ponder implementing a krypt() to replace crypt(). (Well it's not xcrypt()
because it shouldn't exit, and I don't really have a my_blah() prefix
established and the thought does not appeal. And we've established on mastodon
that I should not call it superdog().)

*shrug* Gotta try it and see. And then try it again on llvm...

Rob

P.S. If Clark Kent was from earth and had a dog, he would logically name it
eartho. Unless Kara named the dog? I could see her naming a dog "oh god I am
desperately homesick because I _wasn't_ a baby, I became a displaced refugee at
13 moving from a spacefaring civilization to one that only recently invented the
tractor and everybody I knew is dead and this was never really properly examined
and am I expected to have babies with my cousin, what's the plan here and are we
SURE nobody else made it out..." but shortening it to the old planet's name.