On Thu, Aug 1, 2024 at 10:08 PM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:

> [...]
> that.
>
> > an alternative here would be to use nobody:nobody, which works on all
> > of Android/Debian/macOS. i don't know if we considered that at the
> > time? it sounds familiar now i'm typing it out...
>
> Ok, here's the problem:
>
> $ git annotate tests/tar.test | grep '"ownership"' -A1
> 43d398ad5       (Elliott Hughes 2019-07-18 15:52:55 -0700       192)testing
> "ownership"
> "$TAR dir/file | SUM 3" \
> 43d398ad5       (Elliott Hughes 2019-07-18 15:52:55 -0700       193)
> "2d7b96c7025987215f5a41f10eaa84311160afdb\n" "" ""
> $ git show 43d398ad5
> commit 43d398ad5d7b14fb344fc2e5338177761b9a199a
> Author: Elliott Hughes <e...@google.com>
> Date:   Thu Jul 18 15:52:55 2019 -0700
>
>     test.tar: fix tar tests on Android.
>     Fix the block/char special tests (the expectations were missing, but
>     they're never normally run on the host because the mknod fails).
>
>     Likewise add the missing expectation to the "ownership" test, which
>     isn't normally run on the host because the chown fails.
>     With this patch, all the tar tests now pass for me on both the device
>     and host.
>
> The test came from you, and the hash came from you, and I was wondering what
> had
> changed to produce a hatch that differed from the one you provided in the
> commit.
>
> Especially since:
>
> TAR='tar c --owner root --group sys --mtime @1234567890'
>
> And thus:
>
> skipnot chown nobody:nogroup dir/file 2>/dev/null
> testing "ownership" "$TAR dir/file | SUM 3" \
>   "2d7b96c7025987215f5a41f10eaa84311160afdb\n" ""
>
> In theory shouldn't care what user:group is on the file?
>
> It looks like I checked in an unfinished test (hence the blank output), but
> the
> REASON it was unfinished was a design issue, namely the $TAR macro disguises
> variable ownership so you can't test with it so I need to override the fields
> provide a sstable tarball manually in this test, and I wasn't sure what they
> were.
>
> Expecially since the UID/GID variance on mac is badly defined. It says:
>
> $ grep nobody /etc/group
> nobody:*:-2:
>
> And in _theory_ that's getting typecast to (unsigned short) and thus trimmed
> 65534 by the system somewhere, except on mac:
>
> $ echo '#include <sys/stat.h>' | cc -E - | grep gid_t
> typedef __uint32_t __darwin_gid_t;
> typedef __darwin_gid_t gid_t;
>
> If __uint32_t is 16 bits on MacOS it's... about what I expect there, really.
> And
> if not, then it's getting truncated in the kernel, or by the filesystem, or...
>
> Anyway, if this test doesn't work for you, and you submitted it, then me
> redoing
> it shouldn't break you. Modulo "does the result test the same on android" is
> something I can't answer until you try it and tell me. :)

as i said in a recent checkin comment, my number one mistake when
working on toybox is that i'm likely to _only_ test on the host, just
because it's more convenient, and then assume that the device is the
same (despite all the fairly obviously large differences). i wouldn't
be at all surprised if that's what happened here too.

let me know when you check something in that you want me to try... (i
say "me" but tbh, unless i'm actively debugging a device test failure,
it's most likely the CI bots doing all the work :-) )