Matt,
       I have tried with commenting out the rewrite rules and
still end up with the same 500 error. I have even tried without https
completely and I still end up in the same spot.
       I will admit this is quite the baffling problem, and there has
to be something very small or stupid that I am missing.

Thanks for the response
Rick

Matthew Gillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Rick Bradshaw wrote:
Here is the config on the working server. sarge with trac 0.9.6 and
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/$ http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects
RewriteRule ^/projects/+$ /projects/index.html [L]
RewriteCond /www/trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/$1 -d
RewriteRule ^/projects/(.*)(/?.*)       /projects/trac.cgi$2
[S=1,E=TRAC_ENV:/www/trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/$1]
RewriteRule ^/projects/(.*) /projects/index.html

Here is the config from the upgraded machine that isn't
working. Ubuntu dapper amd64, trac 0.10.3, apache2 2.0.55-4ubuntu2.1,
and python 2.4

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/$ http://trac2.mcs.anl.gov/projects
RewriteRule ^/projects/+$ /projects/index.html [L]
RewriteRule ^/projects/(.*)/login$
https://trac2.mcs.anl.gov/projects/$1/login [L]        RewriteCond
/disks/www/trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/$1                     -d
RewriteRule ^/projects/(.*)(/?.*)       /projects/trac.cgi$2
[S=1,E=TRAC_ENV:/disks/www/trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/$1]
RewriteRule ^/projects/(.*) /projects/index.html

I have already tested and proven that the "AuthPAM_Enabled on" works
properly as my svn repos and authz tools all work as normal. The
problem I am seeing is that when I click on the login link in my new
trac install I get an apache 500 error in my logs and the trac page
says.

"Authentication information not available. Please refer to the
installation documentation."

I am slowly heading towards my wits end. I am sure there is someone
out there who can show me the errors of my ways.

Does it have to do with the "https" in the rewrite rules in the second case?

Matt