Could you do this with mod_authnz_external?

Trac registration comes with the account manager plugin,
and you can also direct Apache and Trac to use the same
htdigest file, like so (here, I am using Trac's htdigest to
identify users to subversion).

<Location /svn/>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath "/export/home/dc12360/Nobody/Svn"
    AuthzSVNAccessFile "/export/home/dc12360/Nobody/Conf/svn.access"

    Satisfy Any
    Require valid-user

    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "ProjectFortress"
    AuthDigestDomain /svn/
    AuthDigestProvider file
    AuthUserFile "/export/home/dc12360/Nobody/Conf/users.htdigest"
</Location>

This isn't exactly what I want -- the separation of read/write
permission still occurs in svn.access, which requires separate
modification.  I'd like to have some way to consult the Trac groups
and permissions before granting write access (but I am very much
Apache-config-impaired -- for example, I do not know if the order
of the lines in the excerpt above matters, though I suppose it
would be an easy experiment to find out).

This also doesn't solve your problem, because you want to consult
LDAP first.  But my suspicion is that the answer might be here,
rather than in Trac.