If you are using Apache authentication, do you have 'require valid-
user' or are you allowing anonymous users?  If the latter (which you
won't have require valid-user for the URL for trac), then you should
add a new URL path (.../trac/login) which does require a valid user.
This causes apache to do the auth and put the authenticate user info
in the right place.