Hi,

I am trying to set up authorization in Trac 0.11 (with Apache
1.3/FastCGI) in a .htaccess file but have been unsuccessful. I have
never done it before and I am not an Apache expert. Apart from
authorization, my setup of Trac seems to work fine.

I have a Trac environment here:

  /home/paul/trac/foo

And the web entry location for that Trac environment:

  /home/paul/www/sub/foo

That directory contains the trac.fcgi file. 'www' is the document root
for mydomain.com and 'www/sub/foo' is the document root for my
subdomain foo.mydomain.com which is the URL I want to use for my Trac
site.

I have put the static files here:

  /home/paul/www/sub/foo/chrome

In '/home/paul/www/sub/foo' I have this .htaccessfile:

######## .htaccess #########
DirectoryIndex trac.fcgi

# Make sure to prefix every URL request that isn't for a file or
# directory with trac.fcgi so that it is handled by Trac
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /trac.fcgi/$1 [L]

I know that I need to somehow force Apache to do an authorization
challenge for requests for 'foo.mydomain.com/login', but simply
haven't figured out how. I have tried a few different approaches but
with no success. So what is the recommended way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

/Paul