On

> Behalf Of Jason Winnebeck

> Sent: 19 May 2008 19:43

> I'm pretty sure that Trac 0.10 didn't do this,

I'm running Trac 0.10.4, I can confirm that this version also diff
PDF's.

> but after upgrading to

> branches/0.11-stable Trac 0.11dev-r7086, Trac is trying to diff PDFs,

> resulting in 100% server CPU use for about half a minute and
generating

> a massive page. While I realize that PDFs are mostly text, I'm not
sure

> why Trac is trying to interpret it, given its MIME type.

> SVN properties on the file, as shown in Trac browser:

>     * Property svn:mime-type set to application/pdf

>     * Property svn:needs-lock set to needs lock

> My impression is that any mime-type in SVN that doesn't start with

> "text/" is a "binary" file.

That sounds sensible.

[...]

> changeset       max_diff_bytes    10000000

> max_diff_files 0

> The max_diff_bytes is the default value. Maybe I could make it smaller

> but Trac shouldn't try to diff a PDF at all, should it?

I tried setting max_diff_bytes to 100000.  At first I thought it had
worked.  I clicked on a changeset that included a modification to a PDF,
and no diff was shown.  I just tried it again, though, and my servers
CPU went 99.9% busy for about a minute, and then my workstation ground
to a halt as it attempted to render an enormous web page.

I did bring this up once before:

http://groups.google.com/group/trac-users/browse_frm/thread/f5925c2be7ec
fcaf/abd65c197ecd1a6a

There is a solution mentioned there, but it involves some hacking.  I
don't know Python at all, so it's not viable for me.

It would be nice if there was a simple solution (a diff_exclude_files
option or similar in trac.ini, perhaps) to this problem in the standard
distribution.

Regards

G.