I think the main point is that it would be nice to be able to somehow
type in named HTML entities in a wiki page, and have them unescaped.
It's easier to type &lte; than it is to configure an easy to use input
method for arbitrary symbols.  I'm not saying it's Trac's job to solve
that problem.  It's just something I've run into before myself.