On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM, W. Martin Borgert <deba...@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting "Olemis Lang" <ole...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>  - Why not to include jQuery UI so that plugin developers be able to
>>    use those widgets in their own plugins and also custom widgets without
>>    bundling jQuery UI core files ?
>>  - The same for a jQuey UI theme for Trac ;o)
>>
>> Looking forward to your comments ;o)
>
> As one of the packagers of Trac for Debian I have to oppose.
> (Well, not strongly, but oppose.)
>
> For distributions such as Debian or Ubuntu it is very important
> not to duplicate software in the archive, mainly, but not only,
> for security reasons.

+1

> In any case, as Debian packager of Trac I would have to use the
> Debian JQuery package, not an embedded copy in the Trac archive.
> If, however, the JQuery version embedded in Trac and the one in
> Debian diverge, if Debian uses a newer version, I fear, that
> resulting problems would not have high priority, because "the
> embedded copy works". Well, the risk is probably not so high,
> but in any case I would prefer to not include any 3rd party SW
> in the Trac release.

Which is cool from a packager perspective but, what about the
programmers outside the (great) Debian world ? They have to bundle
jQuery UI over and over in every plugin to ensure that it will work
everywhere ...

> If Trac would use an embedded copy of JQuery,
> why not also
> include Genshi, Pygments, PySQLite/PsycoPG etc.? I hope, you
> don't do that :~)

I agree with you about not including Py libs in trac package, but
perhaps we are talking about two different things. I am mentioning a
poor little JS lib bundled with Trac since a long time ago whereas all
you mention are Python libs . Isn't it possible to do for jQuery UI
(i.e. libjs-jquery-ui) the same thing you do (and I can't figure out
;o) when packaging Trac w/ jQuery (i.e. libjs-jquery) ?

@ Remy Blank

Q:
  -  Does Debian package jQuery UI? How does it link it into the
     packages that need it?

`libjs-jquery-ui`, and `libjs-jquery` is in recommends so I suppose
there's another copy inside Trac ?

PS: Hey ! Everybody ! I talked to Santa and he'll bring us many great
Trac plugins, so Merry Christmas !
o<|;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Implemented common `/rpc` path. HTTP 415 error if no match found.
Details : - Use content typ...  -
http://bitbucket.org/osimons/trac-rpc-mq/changeset/1933a7c9c607/