Not sure what you are using for a database, but if you are with the stock
sqllite3, it's pretty easy to rsync the whole pile over to a test machine, and
experiment and tweak in a low-stress environment.  I test upgrades to our site
on a Mac laptop, using Trac, Apache, and all the other bits installed using
MacPorts (with Apache on port 8080, so as to avoid the built-in web server).

I use this script:

-----------------------
echo "Uses sudo to stop server, tweak permissions for the backup, and then to
restore original state"
sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl  stop
sudo chown -R dr2chase nobody

rsync -avz -e ssh some...@somewhere:/somepath/nobody/ nobody \
--rsync-path=/opt/csw/bin/rsync --exclude="/EggCache" --exclude="*.pyc"

sudo chown -R _www nobody
sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl  start

where "nobody" has subdirectories including "Trac", "Svn", and "EggCache"

David