I like and use Trac.

For a different purpose, I would like to track a list of items, each of
which has many attributes.

I thought of just adding a ton of custom fields to Trac, but it's not a
great fit - I don't need the workflow aspects, but I like Trac's easy
reporting and general UI.

Is there some existing system that can do this?  That is, make it easy to
define/add fields to a database (preferably in web UI), then enter records
into that database, then very flexibly sort/report on selected fields of
the records?