Not knowing what you have done to compile Babel, I will provide a set
of instruction I just performed to allow multi-lingual support to my
'already running' Trac environment:

Stop Apache

mkdir ~/dev
cd ~/dev
svn co http://svn.edgewall.org/repos/babel/branches/stable/0.9.x babel
svn co http://svn.edgewall.org/repos/genshi/branches/stable/0.6.x genshi
svn co http://svn.edgewall.org/repos/trac/branches/0.12-stable trac
curl -O http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/1.7.2/core.zip
unzip core.zip
cd babel
python ./setup.py egg_info
python ./scripts/import_cldr.py ~/dev/common
sudo python ./setup.py install
cd ../genshi
sudo python ./setup.py install
cd ../trac
sudo python ./setup.py install

At this point Trac is setup with multi lingual support. You already
have a working Trac environment, so lets just simply update it:

sudo su -
trac-admin /path/to/your/trac upgrade
trac-admin /path/to/your/trac wiki upgrade

Start Apache... log in, check out prefrences, and you should now have
a "Language" tab. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
Jason