On Feb 20, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Matthew Caron wrote:

> On 02/14/2012 03:32 AM, Alvaro wrote:
>> What I am looking for is a plugin that may permit to use a Trac group
>> as a Subversion group ->  Like that, the Trac group may be used
>> directly on the Subversion path without having to do 2 entries each
>> time.
>> Do you have some ideas about it ?
>
> Another option - cli script it. Write a wrapper script from the CLI which
> takes all necessary information, then adds the user to both Trac and SVN.

I was going to suggest this as well. We are nearing 1000 employees we keep
track of. Some needing access to a specific out of the many available SVN
repos, some to Trac site 1, others to Trac site 2, etc etc... or all of the
above. It became clear that in order to get permissions _correct_ for so many
different scenarios, we needed a non-gui, scripted method (Build our own).

> You could then extend said script (or wrap it again) with additional
> functionality to take some input list of all your users (say, a CSV file you
> get from a spreadsheet from HR) and then you can just batch import all the
> existing users.

Exactly my thoughts again. On top of the SVN and Trac permissions, we needed to
'extend' the script to maintain Apache rules to specific directories within the
multiple available Trac sites (due to externally linked document attachments).

> --
> Matthew Caron, Build Engineer
> Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com
> +1 (518) 877-5173 x138 office
>
> --

A specific plugin may be well received for some, but not for all. Most of us
have entirely different needs when it comes to permissions. However the more
plugins the better of course! Until then, my advice is to script your own Authz
generator. I would also shy away from the Trac's GUI authentication management
and similar plugins, if you will have hundred/s of users. You will thank your
self in the end when all you have to do in order to add/remove/modify a
privilege is through an executional script and not a painstaking 10-20 mouse
click operation per user.

Jason Miller