On 08/14/2012 03:58 PM, ChiefEngr wrote:

My question?  Well, should I host this server on a Windows box or a
Linux box?

My default choice is Trac + Git on Linux.

1. On revision control:

However, given the love Windows users have for GUIs and IDEs, you might want to take a long look at Mercurial (hg), which is what my wife uses at her shop (predominantly Windows-based development using C# and Java, with Linux server backends). It integrates more nicely with things and doesn't scare the n00bs.

I wouldn't set up new projects with SVN. Once you really get used to using a DVCS, you'll wonder how you got by without it.

One caveat - if you're going to be doing a lot of FLOSS, git may be preferable to hg, because it has greater market penetration into that sector. Since my job is mainly Linux-based FLOSS, and most of us are on Linux (or the first thing we do on Windows is install Cygwin) we use git here.

2. On servers:

I've been quite fond of Ubuntu LTS server for the past 5 years or so. apt is fast, all the breaking of things Canonical has done has been on the workstation side (Unity, blech!), and it's got a 5 year support cycle for LTS. Debian is another solid choice. I tend to not like rpm-based distros because they take so long to query their DBs when installing packages (I literally can start a query, ssh into a debian machine, run that query, get my result, log off, and the RPM query will still be running).

Also compelling is the automatic updating of pretty much everything. Basically, there are two buckets - things you install manually and things that come from repositories. The former, you have to keep updated yourself. The latter get updated automatically, as part of the OS. I find that, with Windows, the former list is rather large, and they may or may not implement their own update mechanism. As such, the maintenance overhead under Linux ends up being much less for me, because I don't need to manually install updates for everything. I just periodically log in to the server and check for updates, then install whatever it finds. Heck, you can even configure it to automatically silently install all critical updates.

So, for a normal Trac installation, the only things I find myself having to update manually are the Trac install (because we've modified the source) and plugins.

--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com