On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:34:14 PM UTC-5, Anthony Green wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I apologise in advance as I am VERY new to both Visual SVN and TRAC.
>
> I have inherited an installation from staff who have long since left the
> company and we need to move our TRAC environment from one server to another.
>
> What I am looking for is some sort of guide to follow as I have no idea
> how to go about it.
>
> The following software is in the Add or Remove Programs list in Control
> Panel:
>  - Python 2.5 Genshi-0.5.1
>  - Python 2.5 setuptools-0.6c9
>  - Python 2.5 svn-python-1.6.4
>  - Python 2.5.4
>  - VisualSVN Server 2.1.11
>
> Existing Environment
> Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 (32-bit)
>
> New Environment
> Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 (64-bit)
>
> I'm not sure what other information is required, but happy to supply what
> is needed.
> If we need to upgrade things before relocation, we can do so, but will
> need to know the procedure for doing so.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

What version of Trac are you running? You'll want to at least read:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade. You can use the trac-admin
hotcopy commands to backup your environment. If you are going to upgrade, I
suggest moving all the way to the latest, version 1.0.1. You'll need to
upgade Genshi to at least version 0.6, but SVN 1.6.x may be okay, IIRC.

Python 2.5 is okay too, and Trac 1.0.x will continue to support Python 2.5,
but the minimum Python on the trunk leading up to the Trac 1.2 release
(next major) is 2.6 (technically that's not yet the case and Python 2.5
still works with the trunk last I checked, but it's been officially stated
that Python 2.5 support will be dropped in the releases leading up to 1.2,
so it could happen anytime). So you may want to install Python 2.6 or 2.7
in your new environment in anticipation of future releases.

Since you are on Windows, Bitnami Trac may be an option for you. It bundles
together the Trac dependencies in an installer. I haven't used it myself,
but some users in this forum speak highly of it.
http://bitnami.com/stack/trac

Make sure to backup everything before you start. Really, please do this -
too many people skip the step and then we have the sad situation of
unrecoverable data due to either user error, or strange behavior of the
upgrade step (though there are no known serious issues that I'm aware of).
You can read about backing up your environment using the hotcopy command
here: http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracAdmin

The best advice I can give is to backup you current environment, don't
modify the configuration on your existing server, and attempt to migrate
the data to the new server that has the upgraded Trac installation.

There are some Windows-specific installation guides here:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstallPlatforms

And generic instructions here:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall